The following interview is the first in a series of Featured Artists interviews that will be posted throughout the semester.
Name: Maegan Stracy
Can you briefly describe your history and how you came to be at KCAI?
- I went to Blue Valley West High School in Overland Park, KS I was fairly familiar with the school and I knew a few people that went to KCAI. I applied, but it was not my first choice. I was offered a scholarship that I couldn’t refuse so I decided to stay in the KC area and attend KCAI. I’m glad I stayed in the area because KCAI proved to be a good fit for what I wanted to achieve.
What Areas of study have you focused on during you 3 years?
- In the past in my major studio practice I have had two different bodies of work, installation based work and garment design. Recently I have focused primarily on experimental fashion. In addition to creating new forms and structure in my work, I also spend a lot of time dyeing and creating unique fabrics for my garments.
Is there an event/ instance that has helped shape your practice?
- Sophomore year I started interning for Peggy Noland, and through working for her I was able to meet a lot of practicing artists in the Kansas City area, and artists Peggy collaborates with outside Kansas City. Working long term with Peggy has allowed me to engage in extensive projects and see the changes that happens in a business as projects and goals shift.
Who is your favorite or least favorite artist?
- Favorites: Olafur Eliasson, Yayoi Kusama, and Josh Goot
What is, in your opinion, the best mode of transportation?
Can you describe what you are working on for your thesis project? What final form
will it take?
- Right now I am constructing garments that limit the movement of the body through the way they are made and the materials used. These garments will be presented in mini-installation spaces, constructed environments, that relate the garment and enhance the viewer’s understanding of the garments.
Describe your aesthetic in 3 words.
- Fresh, colorful, and bold
Where would you ideally be in 5 years?
Ideally I will be in Berlin with my own gallery space that could be used as a rotating project/installation space and/or a pop up shop